Thursday, August 24, 2006

Elmore Abbey

Well, my week on retreat is up, and I'm now back from an oasis of holiness to my usual little den of iniquity.

Seriously, though. For those of you who don't know, Elmore Abbey is the latest reincarnation (or regeneration for you fans of Doctor Who) of what was Pershore and Nashdom Abbeys. I've gained an awful lot during my visit here and so will anybody who pays a visit.

There's a worry though. The Abbot left recently to embark upon a new phase in his vocation is San Francisco, leaving 5 monks behind. This is too small a number to be lead by an Abbot, and so they are now under the auspices of their conventual prior, Dom Simon. Of these five, Dom Kenneth and Brother Hugh are, quite frankly, feeling the ravages of Time, though remain utterly committed to their profession. Despite the arrival of Brother Gordon and over 300 Oblates, the remaining 4 more able-bodied monks are struggling to keep their Abbey in order as well as maintain their commitment to the Benedictine Opus Dei (i.e. the Divine Office, not the Roman Catholic Organisation).

The world needs places like Elmore, more than ever in a society that is against the idea of community other than a means to gain social power and standing. These monasteries around the world, committed to the timeless Rules of Life and Faith according to the most influential Christians of the past, are our beacons to the Christian way of living in peace, in love and holiness. If Elmore were to fail, then a light would go out in England which would mark a terrible depth to which the spiritual health of this nation has fallen.

I do ask that you would pray sincerely with me for the wonderful Brothers of Elmore, and that they may be given strength and new members to continue their arduous and assiduous task.

6 comments:

Bob Catholic said...

Please, more reflections on Elmore Abbey!! Maybe some photos??

Warwickensis said...

I'll do my best.

As for photos, regrettably I do not possess a camera.

frbader said...

Would they consider merging with Alton? That might provide one really viable Abbey.

Unknown said...

I would love to stay more at Elmore. How best to support I do not know??
One practical point which may sound bad...is that the guest rooms are so very tiny! I am not a small man and I have a slight mobility problem (nothing difficult) and simply find the guest rooms to small even for 3 days.

I wish them well.....I have loved going there apart from the cramped bedroom!
Pity the library closed as that was inspirational for me anyway....

joannis said...

I'm an associate, RC now but remember my time at the mother house of Nashdom Abbey so fondly; they were more joyful and loving than any of a dozen monasteries i've seen since. yes do pray for them; tomorrow i who have lived alone so long, take "official' oblation as a postulant monk...of the studyite greek-catholic tradition...pray for my life of repentance!

Warwickensis said...

I'll willingly pray for you Joannis.

May your consecrated life bring light to the world, peace to your soul and joy to the community which you join.