Saturday, August 11, 2007

Making a saint out of a new man,

Today is the feast of the Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman. I've always been very positively disposed to Newman whose intellect and hard work has done much to transform both Anglicanism and Roman Catholicism in England.

Unfortunately, the Holy See does not yet recognise Newman as a saint. From the Anglican point of view there is no process of canonisation, though most Anglicans do not feel that it is necessary and that the simple process of veneration makes him a saint already.

From my point of view, I should like to see Newman formally canonised. It would give some formal recognition of his achievements in getting the Church on both sides of the Tiber to think more carefully about what it is to be Catholic, and also to recognise his triumph over vilification, slander and derision that he suffered most of his life (and in some circles even now).

The Birmingham Oratory has a page dedicated to the Cause of Cardinal Newman. Even though the Holy See may not recognise me as being truly Catholic, still I join my voice to theirs!

No comments: