Tuesday, December 04, 2007

An orthodox apology.

I have to make an apology to Alana Asby Roberts who very kindly commented on my post about excellence in worship and who asked me a few questions about my experience of the Eastern Orthodox Tradition. Now that life is leaving me alone for five minutes, I shall answer her here in the main blog in the hope that she is able to read it without hunting for it among the comments.

I have to honestly answer that my experience with the Eastern Orthodox is limited to the musical and the theological. While there are Orthodox Churches in Blighty, they don't appear to have any parishes near me, but then I'm not a driver so that has limited my vision. Of course what marks me out among Anglicans is my view of the Holy Father in Rome as the Successor of St Peter and the Vicar of Christ.

I have a great love of the Orthodox Tradition and applaud the fact that they do have the excellence in worship that is being torn out from Faddish-Anglicanism. One only has to just read through the Liturgy of St James with that call of "Sigesato pasa sarx..." by the Deacon to know that the whole Mass is devoted to the heavenly comes into contact with the earthly. I believe that the old Anglo-Papalists contemporary with Fr. Patten were able to bring that same electricity into our humdrum existence. Both Orthodoxy and Anglicanism have unique musical schemes centred around their liturgy, something which the Roman Catholics have sorely lacked even in recent years.

From the point of view of Christian Unity: if it is possible for the Eastern Orthodox Churches to regain communion with the Holy See and keep their unique identity then it is, in theory at least, possible with the Anglicans who have remained true to Holy Tradition. I do agree that the unity which Anglo-Papalists have been praying for may only be possible because of the Orthodox Church. There would be nothing to lose and all to gain there! I pray that Orthodox Catholicism would become complete once again, and may it start by mutual oecumenism of the dynamic sort.

1 comment:

AR said...

Thanks for your very interesting response; I'm honored. I read your blog regularly and always enjoy what I read.

I'm sadly under-informed about Anglo-Papalism but from what you say here and elsewhere I think I do understand why it seems such an ideal marriage. You are right of course that the Papacy is the sticking point but it seems to represent subtler differences between the groups, mainly of approach. This difference of approach even to commonly-held dogma is far more pronounced between Catholics and Orthodox. However I am neither theologian nor scholar so I will say no more.

I second...or amen...your prayer for all-around reunion. I don't see how it will happen but surely when He comes His Bride will be ready. May God bless you for your efforts in that direction.

Advent joys!

- A.A.Roberts.