Monday, December 29, 2008

Blogday 2008

Another blogday! My third, as it happens.

I've clearly not written as much as I did last year, when I wrote:


At the moment, I appear to be in some self-imposed exile from my parish celebrating only the Morning Office until the Mass is treated with some respect. It's a bit of a bind when the only other parishes within walking distance (and since I don't drive, this is necessary) are an Aff-Cath church where things are done decently but the theology dodgy, and a Roman Catholic Parish which seems to treat the Mass with about as much reverence as the parish I'm trying to leave.So I end this blogyear in some kind of ecclesiastical limbo - certainly not a perfect arrangement, and I hope that this is going to be entirely temporary. Now that I receive communion on a much more sporadic basis, I believe I appreciate the spiritual nourishment better.

Whatever state the C of E may be in, I still maintain my links with Elmore Abbey - the only place where I've really felt spiritually uplifted in past years, and it's partly for them that I am loathe to leave the C of E. The Abbey has always represented a weak link between the C of E and the Roman Catholic Church. I find that I need them and on some level they need me, and I find that this is enough for me to remain in a church whose establishment is falling around my ears.

I seem to have spent my year building up my (lack of) understanding of Anglo-Papalism which gets mentioned every other post making me sound like the stuck record of a monomaniacal parrot. It's important because of the confused nature of the discipline. Every Anglo-Papalist is confused on some level and that's because the Church is a confusing place to which to belong. I now have friends like Marco Vervoorst trying to draw me into the Holy See, and others, like my friends from the Continuum trying to call me into a Continuum parish. It just shows what good friends they are, caring about me like that, and it is very much appreciated even if their attempts are not proving successful. However, I pray about the situation nightly, and despite my pressing for a decision, I still feel that I am told to wait for the path to become clear. Perhaps I must wait for the inevitable fragmentation of the C of E - that would make sense (at least to me). I have to be patient, and so must my friends. Intellectual arguments are not enough at the moment.

My Latin is passable, Greek even worse, and Hebrew infinitesimally better, but at least I've settled into the school which is providing spiritual stimulation of an intriguing kind. Having to defend your beliefs to young adults is very bracing and I heartily recommend it.Thanks for reading over the past year. I hope that you will stay with me and pray with me for the Holy Estate of the Church of God, whatever state she's in.


Well, what's changed? Very little on the Parish front. I ceased my sabbatical just after Easter, but I no longer preach in church because there is little point if the liturgy is made up and the Mass lacking direction, and there is no attempt to bring the congregation into the presence of God. Anything I preach is now exclusively at the school.

It's also been a year in which my faith has suffered a bit of a blow at the hands of my rationalism. However, according to the BBC Television series Apparitions, it's good to take one's faith out of the box and give it an airing, though that's the trite way of looking at it. God does not exist just to provide explanations to those who have no intention of believing in Him, nor for those who are unwilling to invest some intellectual effort into understanding this universe. As it is I do feel closer to God at the moment as my exile continues.

Ties with Elmore Abbey have improved. I am now in the process of becoming a novice oblate for which I am thankful. Clearly the monks at the Abbey are the subjects of much prayer in their rather diminished state. The Community has enriched the lives of many folk and, in this day and age, they need to continue for the sake of showing how to live the gospel of Christ rather than bellowing it badly from street-corner megaphones.

As for my rabid Anglican Papalism, well, I haven't had much time to think about it of late, though there appears to be movement happening there. It's hard to call oneself a member of a movement if one is, to all intents and purposes, the only exponent of that movement in one's viewpoint. As Fr Straw points out, what I am looking for as an Anglican Papalist (if indeed that is what I am), does not exist - yet.

I am also pleased to have helped to set up the Anglican Diaspora which has grown steadily since its conception in March. I am grateful to the team of moderators who keep it running well. The Diaspora is just a small attempt to bring together groups of Anglo-Catholics of all hues from around the world in a time when Unity is just not happening, rather the reverse judging from the actions of ECUSA's litigious CEO, GAFCON and Lambeth and the General Synod's declaration that it wants Tradition excised from the C of E by stating that it will not provide episcopal oversight for those who assent to orthodoxy.

One of the areas in which I agree with the Archbishop of Canterbury is that dialogue needs to continue as far as is possible. My question is, how far is he willing to talk with the Continuing Anglicans? He still has ++Coggan's edict to undo before any meaningful conversation can be struck up there, and the C of E needs to hear the Continuing voices as loudly and as clearly as possible as the points that they make are vital to the existence of the Church.

I also pray for greater Unity between jurisdictions of the Continuing Churches. I have seen signs of that in the way that some dioceses have suffragans who are bishops from other jurisdictions. There's a prayer for that to continue to happen.

Study has not been good this year: Latin, Greek and Hebrew have fallen by the side, but musically I've produced a couple of large scale pieces which aren't too bad.

So what of 2009? I hope to get back to studying, though which direction I take is as yet unclear. I also pray for a transformation in attitudes to the Church's worship of God especially in my Parish this year, as it would be nice to preach in the pulpit once more.

Again, my thanks to all readers of this blog and supporters of my online projects. May you all have a God-blessed, fulfilling and thoroughly enthralling 2009.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Johnathan, for sharing your struggles and travsils over 2008. They put my puny strivings and difficulties to shame.

My prayers continue for you in 2009, not necessarily that you find the answers you seek, but that the jouney gets more interresting and challenging.

God bless you,

ChipB

Anonymous said...

May the Lord bless you and keep you, help you and save you, my friend.
Yes, "the Church is a confusing place to which to belong." This statement, along with the balance of your year-end posting, rather sums up the feeling here too.
In this liberal diocese, our parish was ONE "leaning" toward a staunch Anglo-Catholic position, theologically and in it's approach in the worship of God. After over two years without a rector, one was called in September. As a "Missal" AC, I'm feeling lonely. The carelessness that unfortunately seaped into the Church, gradually, following Vatican II, is a problem for us, as we see our liturgy and calendar full of changes and "convenient" transfers. As my wife and I have been catachists here for many years, it may become quite difficult to discuss the traditional Catholic faith, when HDs are being transferred or downplayed, and this isn't all (believe me)!
It's all very strange. It seems that everyone is trying to find his way through this mess, while somehow remaining faithful to something called "Anglicanism."
Is it important to jump (or swim) to a place which seems as if it might be receptive to one's conscience, or does it make sense to remain where one is -- standing and witnessing for Catholic faith and order?
We have been looking at some options (Anglican Use RC, OCofA, PNCC)and by next summer may have to move once and for all away from this ridiculous "TEC."

Warwickensis said...

Thany you both for your kind messages.

My anonymous friend writes:
Is it important to jump (or swim) to a place which seems as if it might be receptive to one's conscience, or does it make sense to remain where one is -- standing and witnessing for Catholic faith and order?

It is important to swim when there is somewhere whither to swim, if the conscience says to swim. If God provides a new home in which to dwell, then He obviously intends that that is where one should be. Anyone who swims because of their beliefs has my respect.

One should not however swim because the church is doing something that one doesn't like -Father's glow-in-the-dark pink chasuble or the fact that the organ has been replaced by a Clavinova are not reasons to leave if the worship is orthodox and
points very definitely to the Pantocrator.

If the Parish has become heterodox, as many in ECUSA and the CofE have, then there are grounds to go if one is called to do so by God, and if there is somewhere to go.

I am envious of the US seeing that there are so many options that you state. In the UK, there just aren't that many options. I could become a Roman Catholic, but that doesn't do justice to the integrity of Anglicanism on which I was brought up, the same integrity which ECUSA and the CofE lack and hence are fracturing spectacularly. I am an Anglican with my head in Rome but heart in England or, perhaps more accurately, I am the type of Anglican that existed in about 1520. If I am to work for unity then swimming for me is not an option - yet!